Friday, September 28, 2012

Beautifully Weathered

South of nowhere I am driving down a two lane Kansas Highway.  As my mind wanders my eye catches the fading green of a modest mid-west farmhouse.  I am drawn in by it's rustic decay and yet vibrant green paint.  I pull off the road, and begin to snap pictures.

What drew me in?  I am not quite sure.  There is nothing really extraordinary about the building, or her surroundings.  The glass is mostly gone, a few rippled panes hang onto time frozen windows.  The roof is nearly rusted through, the old corrugated tin is slowly returning to its elemental state.  The front door is a mere formality at this point.  It will not hold back an intruder, it will not shield anything from summer's heat or winter's icy gale.  Why am I drawn to such decay?

Back in my truck I pass a dozen white farmhouses surrounded by picket fences and summer flowers.  They don't draw me in.  What continues to capture me is the search for the lost.  The lost story. 

No comments: